Site Feedback

Oct 23, 2008 at 10:42 PM
This is a whole new experience for us, so we welcome any feedback you have regarding the information on this site.

Please post any comments or questions you have by replying to this discussion.

Thanks,

Network Monitor Team
Oct 29, 2008 at 8:35 PM
Hi, thanks very much for the product and the site.
My apologies if this is not the right forum for product comments/questions.

1) there doesn't seem to be a way in Netmon to indicate which parser you want applied to a given stream.  Granted there are plenty of defaults, but one frequently encounters unusual port mappings (TDS over ports other than 1433).
2) Pardon my impatience, but is there a roadmap for protocol parsers?  TDS seems to be a stub, and Wireshark seems to be lagging the current implementation (SMP, MARS).

Thanks!
Oct 30, 2008 at 1:44 PM
For changing port numbers for protocols you can modify the NPL.  Look at this blog post for more info: http://blogs.technet.com/netmon/archive/2006/10/04/NPL-_1320_-The-Power-Behind-the-Parsers.aspx.  We understand that this isn't as straight forward as it should be, but we will continue to look at a way to make this easier.

As for a roadmap we don't have anything in the works, but that sounds like a good idea.  I'll have to check with our product teams to see if we can expose the plans, but if we can, we'll post something on the site in the form of a Roadmap.  Each group owns their protocols, so the SQL team owns TDS.  We are working with them to release a parser on CodePlex.

Thanks,

Network Monitor Team